Scholarship applications to the Lutheran World Federation are for studies and training in theological, diaconal, and development work.
LWF works with its member churches to develop their capacity to serve effectively in their contexts through the LWF scholarships program. The scholarship program assists churches in hiring qualified individuals for spiritual care and diaconal work. The main criterion for candidate approval is the church’s need to increase its human and institutional capacity, whether in theology or diakonia/development.
- Application deadline: October 15, 2022.
- Developing countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean are eligible.
- Undergraduate, Masters, PhD/Postdoctoral, and Research degrees are available.
The number and value of Lutheran World Federation scholarships will be 50-70 for diaconia and development studies and 20-25 for theological studies.
Lutheran World Federation Scholarships have the following duration:
Regular scholarships for one-year study programs: The candidates have been approved for at least one year of financial assistance to begin or complete their proposed study program. For candidates who have already begun their studies, this means that the program must last at least 1.5 years at the time of application, and thus 1 year at the time of approval.
Short-term scholarships for training of up to 6 months: The candidates have been approved for a 6-month training program. This could include training courses, workshops, exchange programs, or research projects tailored to the needs of the church applying. The application forms and selection criteria are identical to those used for regular scholarships.
Eligibility for Lutheran World Federation Scholarships for Developing Countries :
- Candidate’s church affiliation: Only applications from active members of LWF member churches are considered. The church must endorse and submit all applications. Individual applications will not be taken into account.
- Candidate nationality: Only candidates from developing countries are eligible for diakonia/development scholarships. In general, theological scholarships are available to candidates from all regions and countries.
Age restrictions: Depending on the degree pursued, only candidates up to a certain age are eligible for Lutheran World Federation scholarships
|Degree||Maximum age at the time of application*|
Age limits may be exceeded by up to 7 years for female candidates and up to 5 years for male candidates if they are church employees at the time of application.
Age limits may be exceeded by up to 5 years for female candidates and up to 3 years for male candidates if they are actively engaged in theological or diaconal work in the church at the time of application.
Female candidates receive preferential treatment due to social and cultural factors that cause them to pursue studies later in life.
How to Apply for 2022 Lutheran World Federation Scholarships for Developing Countries:
Please use the new online application system. Applications are only accepted from LWF member churches. Individuals who are interested in receiving a scholarship should contact their local church office.