Interested in being a computer technician? This article explains in detail a computer technician job description and the average salary of a computer technician.
A Computer Technician is responsible for maintaining and taking care of computer systems within a business setting. They are also known as a computer support technician. Their duties include troubleshooting problems with hardware, updating or repairing an existing system, and installing computers, routers, and other hardware.
Read more:How to get a work permit in Canada
Computer Technician Job Description and Responsiblilities
A Computer Technician’s primary responsibility is to provide technical support to an organization’s customers and employees. Their responsibilities vary depending on the company they are working for, and they include the following:
- Evaluating and testing the organization’s computer network
- Training users/individuals on how the use new software or hardware
- Troubleshooting network problems
- Troubleshooting individual user hardware or software problems
- Repairing or setting up computer hardware and other associated devices, such as printers and scanners
- Paying very close attention to the user’s description of their computer problem and asking questions, identifying the problem, and determining how to solve it
- Typically work for corporations within the IT department to maintain, repair, and set up computer systems for employees across all departments
- Work closely with other IT personnel to troubleshoot hardware problems and install new equipment.
- Use their knowledge of computers to make sure that company employees have up-to-date software and hardware to complete their jobs correctly.
- Responsible for assisting company employees learn how to use software programs and hardware.
Computer Technician skills and qualifications
The Computer Technician job title covers a broad range of skills and requirements that vary depending on the employer and industry. Generally, a Computer Technician must possess the following skills and qualifications to be successful:
- Listening skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Customer service skills
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
Computer Technician salary expectations
A Computer Technician makes an average of $15.89 per hour. The pay rate varies according to the geographical location of the position, the candidate’s education, and experience level.
Read more:The 5 Highest Paying Job Sectors in Canada
Computer Technician education, training, and experience requirements
The Education needed for a Computer Technician varies depending on the organization and industry. While many require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related area, other employers with less complex computer support must accept applicants with some related higher education coursework or an associate degree.
In addition to your bachelor’s degree, many employers require Computer Technicians to have some degree of experience in some field areas. This experience may be in the form of internships or any other professional experience. Some employers may even provide on-the-job training to entry-level Computer Technicians with a degree and strong technical skills. Computer Technicians need to have experience in networking, computer repair, and troubleshooting.
If you have a degree in computer science or any related courses and still deciding on which computer career path you want, look through the computer technician job description to help you choose.
Read more:What you need to know about Working in the US as an International Student
Comments are closed.