You will need a study permit before you enter Canada if you wish to take professional, academic, or vocational training at a college, university, or any other educational institution in Canada. This study permit is given to students when they arrive in Canada. However, to get there, a student must have a Temporary Resident Visa that is provided by the Canadian High Commission and processed by the Visa Application Centers. In this short article, we will educate you about everything from Canada student visa requirements to documents required for getting a Study Permit, Fees, and the entire Application process.
What is a Canada Study Permit?
This document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities serves as permission for international students to study in Canada. International students cannot study in Canada without having a valid study permit.
Getting the Canada Study Visa / Application Process
You are obligated to carry the Letter of Introduction along with all the specified documents when traveling to Canada for studies. At the airport, you would be required to present the Passport and the Letter of Introduction to the control agency officer, who would then authenticate the same and provide you with your Study Permit if found adequate.
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Visa
To apply for a Canada Study Visa, you need to fulfill the following criteria:
- You need proof of funds: your tuition fee, living expenses, and return transportation.
- A proof that you have no criminal record. The student needs to produce a police verification certificate to prove this.
- You need to produce a medical certificate that certifies that you are in good health.
- You must have been accepted by a designated learning institute (DLI) in Canada.
Which Documents are Required for Canada Student Visa?
Once you get your college acceptance letter, you can begin your visa application process. If you aim at the September intake, you will begin the process around June. The following are the documents you will need to apply for Canada Student Visa:
You must have an international passport whose validity covers the intended stay in Canada.
Proof of Acceptance by a Learning Institution
You need the acceptance letter from the university/college you plan to attend. A Designated Learning Institute is a college/university that the Immigration Department recognizes.
Proof of Funds
You would have to show proof of funds at the time of application for your Study Permit. Per the current standards, you would have to prove that you would have enough funds to pay your tuition fees and take care of living expenses. Canadian Immigration estimates that a student would require at least CAD 10,000 every year of their stay.
Passport Size Photographs
If you have chosen the offline application process, you would need two passport-sized photographs that follow the given standards. For the online application, you will procure a digital copy of the passport-sized photograph, which should not exceed 4MB.
Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
Canadian Immigration requires international students from most countries to undergo a compulsory Immigration Medical Examination from empaneled doctors. Once your test has been completed, the physician will send the results to CIC.
English Language Proficiency Exam Score
Though not compulsory to have at the time of application, we recommend you get your English Language Proficiency Score before you begin your Visa Application Process. You must submit your English language proficiency score to confirm your admission to the Canadian University. IELTS, TOEFL, etc., are all acceptable
Statement of Purpose
You must submit an essay stating the purpose of your trip to Canada and why you have chosen the particular institution during your application process.
How to Apply for a Study Permit
You can follow the steps below to apply for a Canada student visa:
Check the processing times:
The processing time for a Canada Visa takes nearly 12 weeks. You are advised to go through the Canadian consulate website to know the estimated time taken to process the student visa.
Choose how you will apply:
There are two methods of applying:
- Apply online: To apply for your Student Permit online, you must have access to a camera and a scanner to create electronic copies of your documents to upload, and you must have a valid credit card to make payment.
- Apply on paper: Download the application form and read the instruction guide. The guide contains important information about study permits and instructions to help your application process. After reading the guide carefully, use the document checklist. You are permitted to apply on paper only under two conditions:
- If you hold an identity or travel document for refugees, non-national residents, or stateless persons.
- If you have a disability that prevents you from being able to apply online
Pay the processing fee:
Be informed that when submitting an application via the VFS, via mail, or in person, visa fees will be paid in addition to VFS Global service charges. The visa-processing fee is non-refundable in all cases.
Submit your application and valid documents:
Visit the nearest VFS office to pay the stipulated service charges and give them your complete application to obtain a receipt. The receipt contains your unique tracking number, which will be needed to track the progress of your application online.
Once your application is accepted, you will receive notice from the Government of Canada requesting your passport. Submit the passport and passport request letter. Then you would be issued a Temporary Resident Visa and a Letter of Introduction.
Canada Student Visa Fees
- A study permit for Canada costs CAD 150 (as shared on the CIC Website).
- The visa fee mentioned does not include VAC service charges. The applicant would have to pay the service charges as applicable for your region. Also, a receipt will be given for each payment received. You will need the receipt as proof of payment.
- Applicants need to submit a biometric fee of CAD 85. You must pay this and the regular visa fee; your biometrics will be captured at a Visa Application Centre.
Usually, it takes about 12 weeks. Whether you applied online or offline, you can view the status of your applications through your MyCIC accounts.